Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Fulfillment of a Wish

Very recently, I wrote a post about a wish my mom had.  She always wanted her daughter (who had died at 28 hours old) to be buried with her when she died. I always remember her telling me how the baby would be moved from a very large city cemetery and placed in her grave at her feet.  A couple of years ago, Mom had told Dad that she thought it would be too expensive so she thought it would be fine to leave the baby where she was. 
Well, as my family well knows, telling me not to do something is the same as giving me an engraved invitation to do it. (A trait that gets me into trouble sometimes.)  Today, I'm honored to be writing about the completion of Mom's wish, and I hope she forgives my disobedience ;o) 
On Thursday, Sept 16 2010, we brought our sister Debra's sweet little body to her new, and final, resting place.  She is now buried with our mother, right where she belongs.  I'd like to tell as much of this story as I can, in pictures.
The guest of honor arrived in the back of my Suburban.  I loved being able to drive her little body home to Mom.

Beautiful little cherubs surrounded her casket.

Daddy finally carrying his little girl to be with her mama.
Putting the princess on a pedestal
Some well deserved flowers
Dad spoke about the bittersweet nature of the day.
Tim gave a beautiful prayer.
One of the most heartbreaking stories of Debra's death was one told of the morticians closing the casket and Mom realizing that she had not put a blanket on her baby.  She stood there unable to remedy a very motherly instinct of keeping your baby warm.  She had not thought beforehand to bring a blanket.  Although she knew it wasn't rational, she would find herself worried that the baby was cold.  The rest of her life, if she ever heard of a friend or family member losing a baby, she made sure that they had something with which to cover their precious one.  Usually, it was a beautiful blanket she had lovingly made herself.
This is one of Mom's handmade blankets.




Well Mom, we covered her...She is no longer cold.

Lots of family attended.
Think they're related??

My lil' Mr. Mason
Grandpa got lots of hugs


The groundskeepers lower the little casket.

Finally, their bodies rest together.

My sweet little Amanda visiting Grandma and Aunt Debra

The day marked the end of a journey that started in 1968.  It was emotional, spiritual, and healing.  Being able to do this for Mom has been such a labor of love, one shared by my entire family.  I know she and Debra have been close by.  I have no doubt that they are running around the heavens, laughing and enjoying being together in their spiritual state.  Now they also rest together in their physical state. 

What a gift they have given us, and for that, I will be forever grateful.



8 comments:

Kimberly King said...

you have me in tearful suspense here...

Beth said...

I have been following your blog posts about moving your sister's casket and I have to say each one has moved me to tears! You all covering your sister with that blanket made by your mother was simply beautiful.

I know your mother has been watching over your loving work and is so grateful and proud of all of your efforts. What a wonderful fanil gift to your mother!

Impressions Studio & Gallery said...

Tears......so happy two angels are together not only here on earth, but in heaven.

Konni said...

I can't tell you how deeply touched I am. My written instructions also call for my daughter's ashes to be placed with mine when I go.

I understand about the cold. We initially took our daughter's ashes to the beach where we spent our summer Sundays, but it was a cold, rainy day in October, and I just couldn't bear to leave her ashes there.

You're such a loving daughter, and I'm so glad you shared this.

Lipstick and Hangnails said...

Michelle,
Thank you so much for sharing this special day with your readers. I have always been amazed at the love each and every one of your brothers and sisters has expressed over the years for their little sister who lived and left so soon. I was very touched by your story! Love to all, Tami (your cousin)

Devon said...

I happened upon your blog somehow and I am in tears reading this post...

I am mom who has had to bury two of her children and I can tell you that what you have done for your mother is beyond words.

And the blanket story...Wow. THank you for sharing.

Scott and Katy Adams said...

That was so beautiful.

Amber said...

Michelle- I have enjoyed reading your journey with Debra Lynn and your mom. What a touching story and I am so glad that you were willing to share it. You are such a caring and giving person. This gift has touched so many people, not just your family. Love you!