Sunday, September 19, 2010

Faulty Phone?

On Thursday, we had made all the arrangements to have Debra re-interred with our Mother.  I have great photos to share but they are not in my possession yet so I'm going to split the events of the day in to two parts...
I have to start the story by telling you that I procured a new phone from t-mobile just a couple of days prior to burial day.  The day before the burial was planned, my little niece, Londyn, got some water on my phone.  We immediately dried it out and it seemed no worse for wear. The next day I would realize that Londyn may have had a little help from the other side when spilling that water.   I continued to use the phone, stress free all Wednesday night and Thursday morning.  At 11:00am, I had plans to go to Goff Mortuary to clean Debra's little casket before her graveside service later that day.  No sooner did I get in my car than my phone stopped working.  Completely. Stopped. Working.  No one could dial in, I couldn't dial out, no texting, NOTHING.  So, I chalk it up to possible water damage and start planning to go get a new phone after the services. 
I got to the mortuary and Dad was already there waiting for me.  I went to work trying to clean Debra's beautiful, yet old, casket.
As Dad sat and supervised (some things never change), we were able to have a great conversation.  We talked about Mom, my kids, his feelings and hopes for my future, and how he felt his daughters were coping with Mom's death.  In my entire 45 years, I don't think I've ever had a conversation with my dad that was longer than two minutes.  This conversation lasted almost two hours.  He didn't leave, he didn't change the subject, he didn't pace the floor, he didn't try to pawn the conversation off on to someone else.  As I cleaned, we just talked.  I wish I had it recorded because one day, he will be gone too and I'd love to have that one on tape...

The front all cleaned up!  We found engraved cherubs on the outside.  It was beautiful!

And here's the back all cleaned up.  There were more cherubs...
After I was satisfied that it was as clean as I could get it, we loaded the little casket carrying my baby sister, into my Suburban.  I had to run a few errands before the graveside service so I got to take her with me.  I joked with family that I was "Driving Miss Debby".  Still, my mobile phone would not work...
I finished my errands, took the baby to the cemetery and we had a beautiful graveside service, which I will post about in the next day or so.  As I left the cemetery, ready to head across the street to the t-mobile store, my phone rang.  Yep, just started ringing after 6 hours of complete silence.  It was Stacey, she had forgotten that my phone wasn't working and just dialed out of habit.  Surprised and shocked, I told her that I needed to check my phone and call a few numbers.  Sure enough, every number worked just fine!
I'd call it a coincidence but, I don't believe in coincidence.  I think that little Debby wanted me to be completely focused for the day and she REALLY wanted me to talk to Dad.
Thanks Debra!  You were right to mess with my phone, and I'm sure you and Mom are laughing about that little prank!  I will cherish the time spent with Dad at your insistence.

3 comments:

COME ON BABY said...

Honey that is the sweetest story I have ever heard!!!!!!!!

Four babies 4 us said...

You know Jen, I honestly believe that is what happened. I just don't believe in coincidence...

Scott and Katy Adams said...

Believe it! Our loved ones are still very close, even after death!