Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Debra Lynn

I have been so busy lately that my poor blog has suffered.  The school year started, I'm busy being my sister Jeanna's matron of honor and helping her get all the details of her wedding taken care of, and I've been very busy making plans to have my little sister's body moved and buried with my mom.
Sorry the picture is upside-down and grainy...

Debra Lynn was her name and she died in 1968.  Mom always wanted the baby to be buried with her when she died.  I really wanted my mom to have her wish so I took on what ended up being a very involved project of moving my baby sister's little casket from a HUGE city cemetery a half hour away to the cemetery where Mom is and having her buried in the same plot.  It has proved to be quite the undertaking.  We have to have what seems like a million permits, we are responsible to move the headstone ourselves and the cemetery will only dig down to her casket and then we will be responsible to raise it.  So yes, we will be responsible for lifting our sister out of the ground. Besides all the permits, we've had to coordinate 2 cemeteries and get a mortician to come with us and take responsibility for the disinterment.  It's been quite a learning experience for me. It will take several trips and 3 days to accomplish the entire task.  It is truly going to be a job for the entire family.
We are all getting excited now for this to take place and to fulfill Mom's wishes.  I'll post more about it when we take care of it in a couple of weeks.  It should prove to be quite interesting.
Cleaning up the grave a bit.
 Making all these plans has been emotional and spiritual.  To think that we will be moving the vessel that held my baby sister's spirit and placing it with Mom is quite an amazing thing.  The feelings are inexpressible, the emotion at times, overwhelming.  After visiting Debra's grave site today, I feel a love for her like I never have before.  Perhaps it is because I understand so much better now what the loss of a baby means.  As we left the cemetery, the song "I Saw God Today" by George Strait came on the radio.  Since I don't believe in coincidence, I have to believe that it was one of His tender mercies.  The tears came as I listened to this awesome song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q06AvQF5NOw&feature=related
Many prayers are being said that all goes well and I believe we are getting help from above...

No comments: