Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Perfect Speaker and a Powerful Baptism

On Saturday, October 9, my nephew-in-law Harris, was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  (Harris is married to my niece Jennifer)
For those of you who don't know Harris, he is a quiet giant.  Large in stature and love for his family and fellow man, Harris has a way of making everyone he comes in contact with feel welcome and accepted.  He has a depth to him that radiates without words.  He's also a perpetual child.  He loves to tell jokes, play basketball and goof-off with his kids.  Harris can keep his feelings close to the vest and as a result, the day of his baptism came as a surprise to even his wife! 


 Carson was the highlight of the whole service (says a none too biased mother).  He has been taking lessons about church doctrine and baptism.  Jennifer asked him to teach us what he has learned..."Um, well, when you get baptized there will be water.  You will need to plug your nose and hold your breath.  They will dunk you under really fast.  Then they will put their hands on your head and say a pwayer and you will get the Holy Ghost...It's a gift!"  Well, there you have it!  What more do you need to know?  It was perfect. Simple enough that anyone could understand and he didn't put anyone asleep with a long boring talk.  I was so very proud!

Harris' brother Brad and Harris flanked by the missionaries.

A brotherly hug in the waters of baptism.  An amazing moment.

Once the baptism was completed, Brad was joined by John (Harris and Brad's father), Grandpa Max (my dad), and a few other men to lay their hands upon Harris' head and confirm him a member of the church. (Remember Carson talking about the pwayer?)  It was one of the most powerful prayers I have ever heard. The prayer was plain, pure, and beautiful. Much was said about my mother and her example.  She was definitely felt there in spirit as was evidenced by the tears falling from so many eyes.
I love you Harris and I'm so grateful that you and your family are a part of our family.  Thanks for just being you and thanks for being such a great husband and father.  You are truly a good man.

3 comments:

COME ON BABY said...

Great story :) If I can just have that boy of your all will be well on my end. Please!!!!!!!! OK fine I will get my own.

I have very proud of Harris. He is an awesome dad and husband. Jen should keep him forever.

Jackie said...

Oh that just gives me chills to read. I am waiting for the day that story will be about my husband!!!!

Amelia said...

How wonderful. Thank you for sharing...