Thursday, January 29, 2009

The 8th Was a Surprise?

I'm sure nobody has missed the news story of a woman in California who gave birth to octuplets this week. She had exactly double what I have, 6 boys and 2 girls. All I can say is WOW what a woman, I'm not worthy! The news said the 8th was a surprise (like the first 7 were'nt?). I can't imagine being in surgery, having 7 babies pulled out and then oooooops, one more! Not sure if I would laugh or cry, I imagine both. The same thing happened with the Dilley sextuplets, they thought there were "only" 5 and they found a sixth behind her liver during delivery.

Let me tell you, I'm not into surprises. I remember reading the Dilley's story when I was pregnant with the quads. After that, I made my doctor promise me that there wasn't a 5th baby hiding somewhere as one of the embryos we transferred was unaccounted for. He assured me that there wasn't but of course, I'm sure the doctors in the previous mentioned stories didn't think there were more either. I knew that carrying 4 was going to be quite hard on me due to my age and size, I didn't think 5 would be possible. Fortunately, there were "just" the four, although had there been more I would have adored that baby too and would wonder how I lived without him or her.

Well, a hearty Congratulations to the parents of the octuplets. If I could give them any advice it would be to sleep now while the babies are in the hospital, install a revolving door (or just remove your front door) because you'll need a staggering number of helpers, remember your sense of humor, and take lots of pictures since the first year will be a sleep deprived fog. (You multiple birth mom's out there know exactly what I"m talking about.)

WOW, seriously, 8?!!!?!!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I am right there with you on this one Wow, is all I can say. I could not do it. I also heard today that she already has six other kids. Amazing!!! My advice would also include sleep now while you can and hire a secretary to take notes for you as there are so many fun and crazy things that happen that you will forget. And take lots of pictues because not only do you not remember it is always fun to look back on for a good laugh!!!