Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Oops, I Did it Again!

My very favorite sport while in High school was womens gymnastics.  I competed for all 4 years and loved every minute of it.  I have friendships that will be forever even if we don't always stay in contact.  It seems that when we do, we can just pick up where we left off and always enjoy each other's company. 
Anyway, besides the friends, I also managed to get myself an injury.  I had a little fall off the balance beam and almost dislocated my right ankle.  I had a grade 2 tear to the deltoid ligament in the ankle.  Stubborned as I was, I went to physical therapy as much as I could and then I had myself back competing in 2 weeks.  Now as an adult, I see the silliness in all of that but it sure was important to me then.
Fast forward to now and I have never had stable ankles (in fact they are quite weak)  but I have managed to keep myself from re-injuring them by simple dumb luck.  About 2 weeks ago, my dumb luck ran out.
While carrying my sweet little Mochie outside to comb and trim her hair, I twisted my ankle and fell down 2 concrete steps.  Scared her bad enough to pee on me...I suppose I'd have done the same if I were her.  Skinned my knee and got a couple of bruises but nothing to get excited about.  So, on with life as usual.

Two weeks later...I'm at my niece Jennifer's house holding her darling little baby Londyn and what do I do????  Yup, you guessed it!  I take one step down the stairs, sprain my ankle and fly down the remaining 5 or 6 steps while trying to keep this precious little baby girl from getting hurt.  I tried my best to hold her so that I wouldn't squash her. I needed to hold her away from my body but still hang on to her so she didn't just land full force on the ground.  I think it looked like what a football player does when he's holding a football and trying to stretch it across the line of scrimmage.  I'm sure she peed on me too but fortunately, she wears diapers.

Isn't that a pretty little ankle?  Can't wait till it bruises!

Anyway, the second mishap caused enough damage and pain that I went in to see my Dr the next day.  The very first time I met my awesome Dr., it was because I fell off my roof trying to get my cat down.  (DUHH!!!  If the cat can get up there, the cat can get down...)  So I get thinking I'd better only tell him about the highschool sprain and then most recent sprain (skipping the one about the dog) since I don't want him thinking that I'm either an abuse victim or someone who needs a neurology appointment ;o)  However, after examining my poor fat ankle he said, "Well, now that you have re-injured this, it will take forever to heal and you'll just keep spraining it if you don't stablize it with tape or a wrap or a boot thingy" OK, he didn't say "boot thingy" but I don't remember what it is called...Oh, well DUH...I already have sprained it twice it 2 weeks....I certainly hope this is it and I don't do it again!
Funniest part of  this whole story is that the apparatus I was best on as a gymnast was the balance beam. A four inch wide wooden beam 16 feet long that I could do actual skills on...Now I can't even balance on my own 2 feet, or a staircase. 

1 comment:

COME ON BABY said...

OMG woman!!! I hope you get better soon. STAY ON YOUR FEET!!!!!! Love ya!!!!!