Thursday, May 7, 2009

Me Too

A few days ago I took the kids to Wal-Mart with me for our weekly shopping trip. I've always dressed the kids alike, especially when heading out to someplace crowded and public, as it really helps when trying to keep the kids together in a group and facilitates in locating a straggler. Needless to say, we get stared at a lot and I get a lot of comments. Usually people are very nice and are just intrigued by the novelty of 4 little ones all the same age. Ocasionally, we run into someone who obviously doesn't understand what an incredible blessing children are.

Please remind me to keep my mouth shut if I become bitter in my later years.

As I went to the checkout, cart heaping with a weeks worth of provisions for 6 people, we must have caught the eye of an older lady and her husband. She took it upon herself to think that I wanted to hear her opinion and stated (rather rudely) "Glad it's you and not me." I've heard this statement before, but most people say it in a joking manner. This woman couldn't have been more serious. Caught completely off guard I said the only thing that I could...

"Yeah, me too."

Some people have no idea what they're missing.

2 comments:

Guy and Julie said...

Wow--she obviously has no idea what it's like to long for children and then to receive that blessing! That kind of comment would help you not take your kids for granted!

Jen said...

So I just found your blog today but I hear that comment all the time. Our quadruplets just celebrated their 1st Birthday on May 23. Most people say it to us in a kind of joking but not really tone. I say the exact same thing that you did. Even though some days are quit trying I love our family and would not have it any other way. :)