Thursday, May 3, 2012

47,000 Mile Maintenance

 Earlier this week, I had an appointment with the doctor.  I needed to be seen for what might be either allergies or what would be my first ever sinus infection. (Don't worry, I really am going somewhere with this and it won't be a post entirely about snot.)
The night before the appointment, I realized that there are several things that need attention.  Being the type who hates wasting a trip, I composed my list. A thyroid that needs re-checking, a big toe that rudely became the victim of the sharp end of galvanized chain link being jammed up under it's nail, unexplained bruising, a plantars wart, my aching back and neck (that I threw out sniffling of all stupid things, but again NOT a post about my nose...) 

I placed the list in my purse and decided to discuss all these things with my doctor the next day.  I've been seeing this doctor for some time now and I feel free to be myself around him.  We have no problem joking around with each other and he understands my craziness and sense of humor.  I showed up for the appointment thinking they must love patients like me who have their list of concerns written down and organized so they can be quickly addressed.

The nursing assistant called me in from the waiting room.  "What are we seeing you for today?" she cheerfully asked.  I proceeded to unload my laundry list of items.  After taking a page full of notes and patiently listening to my many ailments she said sarcastically "Uh, Michelle, you only get a half an hour..."  To which I replied  "Yes, but the doctor gets paid by the procedure so he should be overjoyed to see me today...I guess he'd better hurry!!"
So, she gave me a tetnaus shot.
I guess that's what happens when you are a smart ass while at the doctor ;o)
Then the doctor froze (burned) the wart on the bottom of my foot.
It seems my remark was punished twice.

After spending an hour with my favorite doctor and CNA, I felt that my list had been sufficiently addressed and it was time to leave.  I chatted a little while longer with the office staff that I love so well, ran out to my car, and drove off.  Half way home, my head began to throb and I realized that one thing had not made it on to my list and therefore I had forgot to mention.
Yep, that damned sinus infection!


Next time I go in, this is what I need examined.


No comments: