Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pumpkin Eaters

 My boys had a scout project a couple of weeks ago.  It involved putting washable tattoos on pumpkins. Kudos to the den leaders for not putting sharp objects in the hands of 8 and 9 year old boys.  The pumpkins resided with us during Halloween and for a couple of weeks more.  Just as I thought I would throw them away, Amanda came up with the idea of using them for our Thanksgiving pies.  Not one to throw away perfectly good food, or to shy away from a day in the kitchen with my daughter, I agreed...

Chopping up the pumpkins and removing the seeds.

Miss 'Manda had to separate the seeds from all the pumpkin guts!

Cooking the pumpkin for what seemed like forever in various pots on the stove. For a menopausal mommy,  it sure was hot!

Our version of making a puree out of the pumpkin.

Finally, the pumpkin is all bagged up and ready for the freezer...Until Thanksgiving of course. There's enough here for 7 pies. Sheesh, that was a lot of work...There's gotta be an easier way...

Oh silly me...There is an easier way!


But the easier way wouldn't have included roasting pumpkin seeds...Or having orange hands from separating the seeds from the guts...Or spending the day in the kitchen talking with my daughter.

...Or watching her enjoy the fruits of her labor as she carefully removes her roasted seeds from the pan, waits for them to cool, and then snacks on them all afternoon!

And I'm certain that buyin' the can wouldn't have left me a sink FULL of dishes! 


 We better have some GREAT tasting pies after all that work!  I don't think I would have made it as a pioneer woman.  Can you imagine putting this much work into everything you cooked??  No thanks!!! Makes me tired just thinking about it! 
Now I need to go call Domino's and have dinner delivered...
Ya know, we really are spoiled in this day and age!






3 comments:

Suzy said...

I've heard what a pain it is to make your own pumpkin puree, but I love the way you showed the quality time it gave you with your daughter. :) Great memories that I'm sure she'll have for years and years to come!

iKandi said...

Last year was the first time I have ever embarked on making pumpkin pies from the pumpkin. Considering I had never even made a pie before...it was a huge undertaking. But after all was said and done...we did one for each of my twins. We had beautiful crusts and two of the best pumpkin pies we have ever had. So I know it's a lot of work but just wait...so worth it. I do like your idea of doing the pumpkin first...that is going to save you a TON of time on the big day. Happy Thanksgiving!
www.ikandi.org

Amelia said...

Oooo, I have a whole strawberry patch full of pumkins...I wonder if I dare embark on the same journey with my daughter? Yikes, I just don't know!