Sunday, July 11, 2010

She Has Gone Home

Mom & my brother Terrance at the quads birthday party.

On July 8, 2010 at 11:38 pm, Mom returned home.  She left in the way she did most everything, with love, grace, and a peaceful heart.  During the day, all of her children and nearly all of her grand and great grandchildren had a chance to visit with her and say their good-bye's.  We all spent many hours looking at old pictures, laughing at outdated hairstyles, telling stories and listening to the children play.  This was the kind of day Mom really enjoyed.  As the day wore on, Dad became quite tired and decided to go to bed.  At about 10pm he went through his usual nighttime routine of brushing, flossing, dressing in his pajamas, saying his prayers and climbing into bed next to Mom.  Sandy and Stacey continued to check on Mom every 15 minutes in order to give her a little extra morphine to keep her comfortable.  At 11:30, Stacey returned from their room and informed Sandy that Mom's breathing had changed considerably.  Sandy went back to check on her, sat next to her and told her that it was OK to go home now.  With my father sleeping right by my mother's side, she slipped out of this world and into the arms of those who have been awaiting her arrival.  I can only imagine the joy felt on the other side of the veil as someone who is so loved was greeted by her own mother, brother, daughter and grandson.  We had her for 72 years, now they get to keep her for eternity.
Mom, we love you and will miss you every day of our lives.  Thank you for teaching us to love, thank you
for being our mother, and thank you for touching so many people.

Yesterday, I had the honor of meeting with my sister's to dress Mom for her funeral.  Today, will be her viewing and tomorrow, her funeral.  None of this seems real and I just keep wondering if I will wake up and the sadness will be gone.  But, like every other painful experience in my life, something good always comes of it.  God knows what he is doing, and He knows better than we do what we need to truly be happy.  For now, I will grieve but I know that some day, I will see the wisdom and know why she went home now.

4 comments:

Hayley Locke said...

Michelle,
I'm so sorry. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. If can do anything let me know.
Hayley

Novabella said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. Your mom was so blessed to have you all near.

Rachel said...

So sorry for your loss, Michelle. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Rachel

Amelia said...

It is never easy to say goodbye to someone you love.

I am so sorry.

I found your blog on Cjane's blog and have enjoyed reading your posts.