Monday, February 8, 2010

Confessions of a Real Life Mom

Today, my kids ate chocolate chip cookies for breakfast...and I let them.
My boys can use the "F" word in a sentence as a noun, verb, and adjective. I'd like to blame the internet for that one, but they may have heard me on the phone.
I don't make my bed.
All 4 kids sleep with me and Jeff. We realize that one day they won't even want to be around us so we take what we can get, when we can get it.
My shopping cart is always full of frozen food and my idea of cooking involves pressing buttons on a microwave.
I have been known to throw a towel over an accidental wetting of the bed thinking I would clean it up in the morning. Then I didn't remember until bedtime the next day and was soooooo tired that I slept in pee pee sheets one more night.
I have a really hard time following through so I never give punishments that aren't instantaneous.
I have spanked a kid before.
I drink Coke all day.
My kids have far too many toys and I have a tough time saying NO when they ask for things with the sweetest of voices.
I don't read most labels on food because the only foods my kids will eat all contain "high fructose corn syrup" and "trans fats". I figure feeding them junk is better than starving.
We didn't get rid of baby bottles until the quads were 4. We potty trained even later than that.
I used plastic baby bottles and didn't know about BPA's.
I propped bottles at feeding time so that I could lay by the babies and close my eyes for just a minute.
I let my kids watch TV as babies and drink fruit juice. Still do today.
I look for any excuse not to mop the floor and usually end up having to do it at midnight.
Sometimes, we stay in pajamas all day.

Despite all my shortcomings as a mother, my kids are happy, loving, compassionate and smart. No one could ever accuse me of not being there for my kids. They are my life, my world, my everything. My life began the day they were born. I see so many posts where mom's are so worried about doing everything right that I thought I'd be real for a minute and give you a glimpse into my imperfect world. I try to correct my faults, but don't dwell on them. After all, I'm only human...WE'RE only human.
Hope this helps someone get off their own back and just enjoy the ride of being a mom. Kids grow up so fast. One day, this will all be over and I'll sit in my perfectly clean, quiet house and cry for the times it was full of children's laughter and chaos. Hopefully, the kids will return with wonderful memories. Then I will know that I did it all just right!

3 comments:

COME ON BABY said...

And this is why I think you are soooo wonderful!!! NO BS just really and super funny. Perfect is so over rated and so is a clean freak'n house!!!!!! Love ya!!

Cathy Holt said...

Very real mother, you are! You wont sit in clean n quiet house so often because your children will WANT to come and visit you sooo often. If you were being stern and feed them mashed pumpkins everyday, they probably will visit you once every 5 years!

Amelia said...

I love this! I don't know if this will help me get off my own back or not (I only had one baby at a time and I'm still only up to three!), but I think you're right. Thank you for sharing this with me!