Monday, September 7, 2009

A Birthday, A Secret?, and Roller Skates

Yesterday, Jeff became another year older...
It's amazing how much heat is generated when you have 47 candles on a cake!

The kids and I went to Wal-Mart and bought him a laptop. On the way home we had a long discussion in the car about secrets.
Me: "Kids, do you know what a secret is?"
Kids: "Yes, it is something you don't tell"
Me: "Well, daddy's birthday present is a secret so we can't tell him. Does everybody understand? NO TELLING DADDY!"
Kids: "Ohhhh we won't tell daddy. We know, it's a secret."


Feeling quite proud of myself that I handled the situation so well, and having confidence that the kids would NOT tell, we arrived home and got the computer into the house without Jeff noticing. After all, this was Saturday and Jeff's birthday was Sunday so they only had to keep the secret for one day. Sunday came and the kids bestowed their father with his gift. After he unwrapped it, he acted surprised, thanked me and them and then proceeded to try and figure out how it worked. (Jeff is a teeny bit computer illiterate) Later on, Jeff asked me how I managed to buy a computer that was almost identical to the one he bought me for Christmas 9 months ago for a cheaper price than he paid. "How do you know what I spent?" I asked. Well, it turns out that little Carson just could not keep that secret. No sooner had we arrived home from making our purchase, he just couldn't keep it in. Not only had he told Jeff that we bought him a laptop, he also told him how much we spent.
So much for keeping secrets!

After ordering roller skates, then patiently waiting...They are finally here!

Amanda practices roller derby down the hallway!


Jaxon wants to wear his even while watching TV



Mason is THRILLED to have new skates so he puts all his gear on, in spite of the fact that the only thing he had on was his undies. The pose looks almost a little Freddy Mercury to me!



Here's Carson, (sans pants) also showing off his new skates and all his safety equipment.




The kids really want Jeff and I to go roller skating with them.
Given the apparent age of Jeff's skates, we may want to invest in an new pair before embarking on such a challenge...


Perhaps we should have bought Daddy skates for his birthday...




1 comment:

lifewithquads said...

Too funny. One of mine was telling me how good she is at keeping secrets just this weekend. So I asked "What kind of secrets?" Then she proceeded to tell me two secrets before she asked if it was just a trick to get her to tell. lol