Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday Flashback

One thing I've always liked about my home is the landscaping. I take no credit for it as the woman who sold us this house was the one who installed all of it. The yard is beautiful with native plants growing around boulders, rocks and gravel. Perhaps it was first time parent's naivete but, when we purchased the house, it never occurred to us that any of this may cause a problem.
One day, the kids were out playing in the yard. Amanda came in to tell me that "it" broke. I quizzed her a little more not knowing what "it" was. At 3.5 years old, she was unable to convey any more info except for the phrase "Jaxie did it".
I walked out my front door and saw what appeared to be crushed black rocks (perhaps coal I thought) with one larger rock in the middle.

My eyes were diverted upwards where the true origin of the black "rocks" was discovered. Jaxon had managed to throw a rock hard enough to break the tempered glass in one of the rear windows of what was then our family vehicle (yes, it's a mini-van).
I had a couple of educational experiences that day. I learned that I needed to attempt to be pro-active by trying to think like a toddler, and I learned that a 3 year old can be strong enough to break a car window.

Have you seen how thick car glass is? Maybe he has a future in baseball.

No comments: